May 31, 2020

Yuri in Which the World Will End in Ten Days - Day 10

10日後に世界が終わる百合
Author: Aida (@elsur00)
Original Post: https://twitter.com/elsur00/status/1262714706734678016

Please Support the Author's Published Works



Day 10


The world will end today.

One thing we've been forgetting is the discussion of where we should spend our last moments.

And that's why we've been doing plenty of that since early this morning. In her bed, both of us bare naked.

"Riri, where do you want to see the world's end at?"

"Kind of a textbook choice, but the beach would be nice."

"So, Hayama?"

"No! Even Tokyo has beaches, too, for crying out loud! Not like I think watching the sunset is romantic or anything!!"

So the world really is ending, huh... Part of me still can't believe it.

"Can't we just keep things the same as usual?"

With Riri saying that, we proceed to spend the day mostly the same as we have been this past week.

I cook a meal for her; she wolfs it down real good.

"I'd like some cake, too."

"Let's see if we have enough butter..."

Being a little short on some ingredients, the cake I ended up baking didn't turn out as good as before. We couldn't have stocked up, either, what with all of the confection ingredients being out of stock at the local supermarket. Despite that, Riri ate it up, and said that it was delicious.

"I swear, you make the best cakes in the world, Yune-san."

Riri says, looking satisfied.

The end is right around the corner. Whatever we eat today, whatever we do today, nothing matters.

Up until now, I never understood why Riri continued to go to school, and why she kept on with her life as normal by her lonesome.

I saw no point in studying. I thought it would be way more worth it to splurge on all the stuff I'd wanted, or go on a tour to as many beautiful places as I could. Those, or go out to kill that one woman I could never forgive. The law had already been rendered useless, after all.

That's the way I've been. No one has ever reached out to save me. No one has ever sought a mutual understanding with me; even the woman I fell in love with has double-crossed me.

I had every right to kill her; the case was so clear-cut that the whole human race had my back. Or so I thought.

Everything is pointless; the world isn't beautiful.

...But I think I've come to understand this girl, at least a little.

"Thanks."

Picturing an apple tree, standing strong as the world falls to pieces, I gently plant a kiss on Riri's forehead.



Now that I think about it, I've been spending our time baking that cake and not much else. It's all been eaten up now, but the house is still filled with its aroma. I very much like how sweet the air smells now.

Deciding that we should at least do something fitting for the last of our days, I agree to watch the sunset together with Riri.

"We can see it from this window."

Following Riri's suggestion, I stand behind one of the house's west-facing windows and gaze long at the sky. As a stage for us to appreciate the sunset, it's not particularly spectacular. The view is filled with a jumbled mess of utility poles and power lines. The air echoes with the cawing of crows, and holds the waft of grilled fish; one of the neighbors must be cooking. The sunset itself is perfectly normal.

We kiss.

I've never basked in a scenery this beautiful.



By Riri's request, we're having Hamburg steaks for dinner. A cute choice, fitting for someone as adorable as her.

"Here's to our last meal."

"Are you... still feeling alright?"

"Uh, what, now you're worried for me?"

"...Just forget it."

We eat up, and then I proceed to open a bottle of wine. Underage drinking is technically prohibited, yes, but with the world ending soon, I'm sure anyone would be willing to overlook it just this once.

"I wonder, is it actually gonna end?"

The meal was very much filling, and we've had plenty to drink. Riri and I drop ourselves down on the sofa. The TV may or may not be showing places and people in an uproar right now, but I don't care enough to turn it on.

"It's not like we know when exactly it'll happen, after all."

"Hm~m, but it's definitely today, right? Dunno how they worked the science to predict that, but it's pretty awesome."

I reach to hold Riri's hands.

"C'mon, Riri, kiss me."

"...Why?"

"Us kissing at the moment the world ends... don't you think that's romantic?"

"Stop it. You're sounding so silly right now."

That actually was a good idea, though, if I say so myself. At least right now, I'd consider it dozens of times better than me successfully murdering my ex-girlfriend. I spend a brief moment envisioning myself in another time and place, swinging around a bloodied axe. For the first time ever, I feel glad that I never went through with it.

"If not kissing, then how about we get it on instead?"

I couldn't say anything more. And that is because Riri has grabbed me by the chin and hit me with a wild kiss. Her letting go after savoring it for a good thirty seconds, I'm finally able to say,

"It's not over yet."

Then we kiss again.

There's no knowing when exactly it'll end, after all, so we have to keep going.

"I love you."

In between each breath, I repeat,

"I love you."

Regardless of how we're struggling to catch our breaths, of how our lips are starting to swell and hurt, we just keep going.

Forever and ever.

"...I love you."



When did it happen? I just don't know.

Before I knew it, I had blacked out. I didn't even have the time to tell when the very last moment was.

Such was how the world ended.



Final Chapter

Previous Day

Table of Contents

4 comments: