September 15, 2021

SSSS.Dynazenon Voice Drama - Episode 9+1

No Need to Work

Character Notes:
Yamanaka Koyomi (CV: Umehara Yū'ichirō) - NEET, Pilot of Dynastriker
Asukagawa Chise (CV: Anzai Chika) - Koyomi's Cousin
Juuga (CV: Kamiya Hiroshi) - Kaiju Eugenicist, Glasses Guy

Yamanaka Koyomi: I got two people's worth of lunch money from my mom today, so we can get whatever.

Asukagawa Chise: Really, anything? How much did you get?

Yamanaka Koyomi: 2,000 Yen.

Asukagawa Chise: Ooh, if we go to the cheap family restaurant at the south exit, we can get lots'a food for 1,000 Yen each.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Huh... then maybe I'll order a parfait, too.

Asukagawa Chise: Parfait, huh... two servings might be too much for us to finish.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Just one serving, then.

Asukagawa Chise: Mm-hm. Ah, how about we use rock-paper-scissors to decide on who gets to eat it?

Asukagawa Chise: Huh? No way. I got this cash from my mom, so of course I'm the one eating.

Yamanaka Koyomi: That how you're gonna end it with, huh?

*restaurant door opens*

Asukagawa Chise: Ugh, place's packed...

Yamanaka Koyomi: Well, it is the lunch rush...

Asukagawa Chise: Oh, I'll go write my name on the queue.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Mm-hm.

*Chise walks away, Koyomi sits down*

Yamanaka Koyomi: Whew... Might have to wait a while...

Juuga: The oven broke down, apparently, so that'll take some time.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ah... yes, you're right.

*brief pause*

Yamanaka Koyomi: ...Huh?

Juuga: Hmm?

Yamanaka Koyomi: Whoa--! You're the Kaiju Eugenicist... guy.

Juuga: And I saw you around Gauma-san... Um...

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ah, I'm Yamanaka Koyomi.

Juuga: I'm Juuga.

*brief pause*

Juuga: This would be our first meeting... yes?

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ah, it is, yes.

Juuga: Right, of course.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Yes, because we usually were... well...

Juuga: Yes, I understand, it's the same for us. We're usually... well...

Yamanaka Koyomi: Oh, it's alright.

Juuga: Apologies. I would've preferred a chance at a greeting beforehand, but alas...

Yamanaka Koyomi: Please, don't worry. It's just how things are nowadays.

Juuga: Yes, truly.

*brief pause*

Yamanaka Koyomi: So the Kaiju Eugenicists... dine at family restaurants as well?

Juuga: Yes, we do quite often. And you, Koyomi-san? Taking time off work today?

Yamanaka Koyomi: Huh? Ah... well, I guess...

Juuga: Isn't it hard work, keeping up with both Dynazenon and your job?

Yamanaka Koyomi: Both...? W-well, maybe, maybe not...

Juuga: So, what is your job--

Yamanaka Koyomi: --What do the Kaiju Eugenicists do when there's no Kaiju out?

Juuga: Eh... we'd usually be out searching for Kaiju, but we do have jobs as well.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Jobs?

Juuga: Yes. By the way, Koyomi-san, do you feel any dissatisfaction toward corporations?

Yamanaka Koyomi: Um, well... I don't know what to say...

Juuga: It's hard to say, I understand. I've come to think that it's such a waste to dedicate my life to a corporate entity.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Huh...

Juuga: The change in my mindset came at the point when I met someone who could stand on their own two feet with self-employment.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Hmm...?

Juuga: It's essentially an advertisement job dealing with these sorts of products, where these products are sold directly to those interested. For example, Koyomi-san, if you purchase 100,000 Yen's worth of products from this catalogue, and then one of your friends purchases those products from you, you will earn 20,000 Yen of income as commission. Then, if that friend were to introduce another friend to you, they will add to your sources of income. They are your yet-unearned income, so to speak...

Yamanaka Koyomi: P-please wait a second. That sounds like some good profit, doesn't it?

Juuga: Yes. This can become your regular income. The more fortune you achieve, the more fortune I achieve as well. It's a job with which your efforts can truly materialize.

Yamanaka Koyomi: But if I fail to sell, then the income...

Juuga: Oh, no need to worry. The products are daily necessities, so even if you don't manage to sell them, you can use them yourself. The product themselves are of good quality, so I think they'll be to your liking.

Yamanaka Koyomi: I see, I see... 

Juuga: Well? Why don't we give it a try? You and me, together.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ah, then, by all means--

Asukagawa Chise: Stop stop stop--! N-n-no, you mustn't!

Yamanaka Koyomi: H-hey, Chise. You were gone for quite a while.

Asukagawa Chise: I was hiding, to listen in! Senpai, you almost got yourself into some deep shit!

Yamanaka Koyomi: What?

Asukagawa Chise: You were being scammed, that's what! And you almost fell for it just now!

Juuga: Please, in this day and age, we don't label things we don't understand as scams anymore.

Asukagawa Chise: I stopped him exactly because I know what it is!

Juuga: See, you don't get it at all! There's nothing illegal in network marketing!

Asukagawa Chise: Just because it's technically legal doesn't mean it's okay to do!

Juuga: You misunderstand! Multi-level marketing runs on properly regulated trading and distribution chains!

Asukagawa Chise: You're not even hiding your true form anymore! C'mon, let's go, Senpai! You'll be stuck in debt hell if this goes on!

Yamanaka Koyomi: Eh... we were getting to the good part, though. What a waste.

Juuga: That's right! That would be such a waste!

Yamanaka Koyomi: I mean, if this plays out, I might not have to work as much, if at all!

Asukagawa Chise: You don't have to work at all! Just don't go around trying anything unnecessary!

Yamanaka Koyomi: How can I earn money without working? That's not a thing!

Asukagawa Chise: So you do understand that part, huh!?

Yamanaka Koyomi: I mean, I was gonna--

Asukagawa Chise: Shut up, you idiot!

*Chise kicks Koyomi*

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ow...

Asukagawa Chise: You did graduate middle school, Senpai! You weren't supposed to fall for this kinda thing!

Yamanaka Koyomi: Man... You didn't have to kick me for that...

Juuga: Hahaha... Koyomi-san, you could at least take the catalogue--

Asukagawa Chise: Aaahhh! Kaiju! Over there!

Juuga: Huh? Kaiju?

Asukagawa Chise: Look, over there!

*Goldburn roars in the distance*

Juuga: Ah, that Kaiju...!

Yamanaka Koyomi: Goldburn...

Asukagawa Chise: C'mon, c'mon! It's gonna get away if you don't hurry!

Juuga: That gold body... it's the one that got in my way the other day!

Asukagawa Chise: T-t-t-that's right! If you don't hurry and dominate-whatever it, it's gonna get away!

Juuga: Ngh--! YOU STOP RIGHT THERE!!

*restaurant door opens*

Yamanaka Koyomi: Huh... there he goes.

Asukagawa Chise: Whew... Alright... Thanks a bunch, Goldburn...

Yamanaka Koyomi: I think we were just getting to the good part, though...

Asukagawa Chise: If he was actually earning something, he wouldn't be coming to a cheap family restaurant, you know.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Ah. Good point.

Asukagawa Chise: You know what, Senpai, I'll let you have that parfait.

Yamanaka Koyomi: Nah, let's share it between us.

Asukagawa Chise: Huh. You just grew up all of a sudden.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barnnn, sorry for the comment here, i know that is unrelated to this translation in specific, but for me it seemed the best place to contact you. If i may ask, you're going to continue the Monster Hunter Novel translation? I really loved your work there and would like to see at least the Zeeg saga in full. I live in Brazil so it's really hard to acquire the external media from the frachise here (mangas, novels, etc). So for me to get acess to it, i depend on the material available in english, but since it's hard to import to here (the import taxes aind mail delivery costs are absurd!), for now i only can look up the little that is available online on fan translations. Thank you for your time on reading this and i hope you continue doing your good work on your translation projects!

    ReplyDelete