November 24, 2023

LOOP8: A Summer Day - Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Max (After) - What a Strange Day Today Has Been


It's August now, and I[1] am not sure how I want to describe it; perhaps a date that came without notice, or perhaps a slog that couldn't be over with soon enough. For a teacher who doesn't want to marry his job, it probably is the latter -- and for a diligent student, the former.

Time and tide wait for no man -- or as they say in Japanese, kouin-ya no gotoshi... which is literally closer to time flies like an arrow, I suppose. I still haven't quite grasped the language here. It has far too many first and second-person pronouns.


Kuni-sensei[2] has asked me to provide counseling to one of the students today. I can't wait to get home and upgrade my daughter's[3] functionalities, but... well, I need to get my paycheck to afford her parts.

Yes, there's no getting around this. Let's get to work.


My assigned interviewee is Hiume-kun[4].

That came as somewhat of a surprise, since I had thought that Kuni-sensei would handle her session. According to Kuni-sensei, though, this is because Hiume-kun does not have any particular issues.

In other words, Kuni-sensei would rather counsel those who do have issues. Someone like Sawada-kun[5], if I were to hazard a guess.


Well, whatever.


I take it easy as I wait, and eventually, Hiume-kun arrives, looking as if she has just seen a ghost. The very moment I see that face of hers, I regret taking on this task.


"Have a seat, Hiume-kun."

"Yes, Max-sensei."


Her voice sounds perfectly calm. I still can't feel at ease, however. A student is more likely to let their emotions run wild when they are out of sight of their acquaintances -- pretending they are fine until it is almost too late. That's just human nature. I must be careful every step of the way.


"You look terribly distressed. Maybe you would be better off going home for the day[6]," I say, apparently surprising her quite a bit. I can't help but scratch my hair in response. "...And why do you seem surprised?"

"This is supposed to be my counseling session, so..."

"It is, yes. But the way people think and feel can change drastically depending on their physical condition. I don't think you should make important decisions when you are not prepared -- both physically and mentally."


I tell her all that, and what do I get in return? A blank stare. Whatever she means to tell me with that look, I have no idea.

I can't even guess a conversation partner's emotions, yet here I am, responsible for looking after a student. As presumptuous as it is, it's still a duty that my occupation entails. The life of a teacher is filled with regrets; in fact, new regrets are falling onto me at this very moment.

The inability to communicate effectively... yes, perhaps that is why Kuni-sensei was stuck repeating her training course for so long.


"Max-sensei, is something the matter?"

"After being all authoritative like that, I felt compelled to question my own physical condition."

"Are you feeling unwell?"

"No, I'm fine. What about you, Hiume-kun? Think you'll be alright?"

"Um, yes. Probably. I was lost deep in thought a while earlier, but that doesn't bother me anymore."

"I that so? Very good, then. You may have been too engrossed in your academic pursuit to notice the coming of August, but rest assured -- your grades are more than good enough."


Hiume-kun looks as if she wants to say something as she rests her hands on her knees.

Let's hear it, then. I'm sure it's nothing too bad...


"Sensei, if you don't mind me asking... have you ever been in love?"


Alright, that's not bad at all.

Due to all the Kegai attacks back home, I never had a chance to pursue a love life when I was younger. Keeping myself alive was already a struggle, even.

That doesn't mean I'm about to dodge her question, though. It's good that things are peaceful here and now. Everything may be destroyed one day without warning, but at least the precious memories will remain.


Now then, I must choose my words carefully...


"Unfortunately, no, I have not. It's fundamentally impossible for me, so to speak. Man or woman, the perceptions and preferences of love differ depending on the individual. It is something that belongs only to you -- yes, not even your partner. You're a smart girl, Hiume-kun, so I'm sure you'll understand at least something from the way I explained it."

"Hmm... Yes, I think I do. But you see..."

"Yes?"

"It's like I want us to achieve both our dreams through being together, or something like that..."


Ah, what a sweet thing love is. I never expected Hiume-kun to say such a thing in such a shy manner. I'm curious to learn who it is that she has her eyes on, but asking now would go against my professional ethics, so I can only smile.


"Keep in mind what is truly important, then. Know that physical intimacy is far from the end of it. Love, marriage, and starting a family are different matters that need their own considerations. If your partner does not understand the difference, they will only make you unhappy in the end."


That was supposed to be a completely serious piece of advice, but it seems to be too stimulating for her. Now she's hiding her face with a textbook... I don't even know where she pulled that out from.

Could it be that it was more technical than what she was looking for? No, that can't be...


"I-I haven't planned that far ahead."

"...Right."


What does she even want to discuss, then?


"I've said mean and horrible things to him," Hiume-kun, seeming to have picked up on the question I had in my mind, proceeds to say while hiding her face with a textbook, "Things totally different from what I intended to say."

"To the boy you have your eyes on?"

"Yes."


What a childish thing to worry about. I thought high school students' love lives were supposed to be more... dramatic, but Hiume-kun does seem serious about this.

Then again, I did just say that the perceptions of love differ depending on the individual. There's no helping that -- words once spoken cannot be taken back.


"Sounds like you need to change yourself, then."

"How do I do that!?" she immediately asks.


Alright, she definitely is serious about this. She's relying on me, of all people, after all.


"Proceed at a reasonable pace. Take deep breaths. Look out for your partner's best interests."[7]


What a strange day today has been. I can't wait to get home and upgrade my daughter's functionalities.


===


Chapter 22 Character Profiles


↩[1] Max (Baldur Max)

Science and mathematics teacher.

He's German, despite his English surname.

First-person pronouns used: Watashi


↩[2] Kuni (Kunie Enan)

Japanese language teacher.

Known as a "problem teacher" behind the scenes.

Despite her motivation, she lacks effective teaching skills. Unfortunately, those like her aren't uncommon in this era.


↩[3] Machina (Hazuchi-Machina Rothborden)

A comically clumsy character. Often claims to be a refined young lady at home.


↩[4] Micchi (Michiko Hiume)

A bookworm.

She would have been content just to be able to read in peace and quiet, but the library is closed due to the Kegai and other issues.

She has developed an interest in Nini when he arrived in town.

First-person pronoun used: Watashi


↩[5] Saru (Kunihiko Sawada)

Member of the baseball club. Quite good at looking after others.

When he was in elementary school, he was called "Saru" or "Saruta" because of his tree-climbing skills. Sometimes he is still called by those nicknames.

He is not keen on studying because he wants to find a job to ease the burdens of his widowed mother.


===


Chapter 22 Footnotes


↩[6] "Maybe you would be better off going home for the day"

Adults' go-to phrase to put off a conversation.


↩[7] "Proceed at a reasonable pace. Take deep breaths. Look out for your partner's best interests."

Max himself does none of this.


===


Next Chapter

Previous Chapter

Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment