February 9, 2018

Cross Road: In Their Cases - Chapter 1 Part 1

The Beginning - Miho - June [Part 1 of 7]

"A movie... you said?"

"Yeah."

As I asked back with reflexive politeness, Momotani-kun gave me a bashful nod.

Inside the envelope that he held out were two advance tickets for a foreign animated film that had recently made record-breaking profits, the very one that the people, myself included, have been keeping an eye on.

Don't tell me, this...

"How about this Saturday? Um... the two of us together."

Called it. That's definitely what it was, no guessing needed.

Sweat sprouted from the top of my head. What should I do? That was totally unexpected. After school at the garbage dump. A classmate and fellow member of the Hygiene Committee. Being called out so inadvertently, I just assumed that it would be about the change in the committee's weekend meeting schedule.

"Didn't you say that you wanted to watch this movie, Kurahashi-san?"

"Um, well, that's..."

...I certainly said that, yes.

"After that, let's go eat some pancakes on our way back. You don't dislike sweet things, do you?"

"Ah, well, yes..."

...Rather than dislike, I actually like them a whole lot, yes.

"If you can't make it on Saturday, then Sunday is fine as well. Any day when you're free, Miho-chan."

"Eh? But..."

...Called by my first name. With -chan affixed, no less.

"It'll be my treat, of course. Then we can go shopping. And after that--"

"W-wait!"

With the intention to interrupt the rapid succession of invitations, a voice so loud that surprised even myself rushed out of my throat

"...Huh?"

Momotani-kun's ceaseless flurry of words stopped for the first time.

"Um, about the movie, well... I'm sorry."

Making sure not to miss the pause, I bowed down so deeply that my glasses levitated over my nose. The line of pine trees bathed in the evening sun, their shadows casting a contrast of light and darkness on the garbage dump. I was standing in the bright side, while Momotani-kun was in the dark.

"Ah... I see."

Momentarily petrified, Momotani-kun then wrung out a dry voice.

"I'm sorry, really."

"N-no, it's fine, don't be sorry. Um, sorry for asking something weird out of the blue. C'mon, lift your face up already."

"...Yeah."

To think he's worrying about others first even immediately after his invitation was declined... Momotani-kun sure is a wholehearted person.

"That can't be helped, yeah. Sorry, getting in your way when taking out the trash and all."

"It's alright..."

...Should I at least go to the movie, after all?

It's a title I want to see, I do want to try out the pancakes, and Momotani-kun is a nice guy.

"Alright. See you later, then."

And so Momotani-kun left, forcing out a tough smile to the last moment. But contrary to the look on his face, his back showed an honest expression of sadness.

No, this won't do. I can't let him go like this. I have to tell him. There's something I have to tell Momotani-kun...

"Momotani-kun."

"Huh?"

As I called out, Momodani-kun turned back around in a snap. His eyes that had clouded with disappointment shone with a glimmer of hope. I stood before him and fixed my eyes on his.

"About the weekend Hygiene Committee meeting, it got moved to tomorrow's lunch break."

"Huh?"

"...Don't forget that. You have to attend, alright?"

"Meeting...?"

By all means, now might not be the best timing to be informed of official businesses. One has to wonder, would any other Hygiene Committee member be able to take in the news while having such a sad face?

But, but, this is about tomorrow...

If I'm going to inform him, faster should be better...

"Got it. See you tomorrow, then..."

No longer able to keep the smile on his face up, Momotani-kun walked off, shoulders dropped.



I'm so sorry, Momotani-kun.

I'm not sure how I should say it, but... Sorry for being like this.

Next Part

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No, this is an entirely different book.

      I've done Kino V.1's prologue and epilogue only for sake of comparisons with the official release.

      Delete